A Great Place to Work
We strive to be a great place to work, where all of our nearly 94,000 employees—including both full- and part-time Associates—feel welcome, safe, supported, and valued every day.
Our ongoing commitment includes providing competitive pay and benefits, a safe working environment, recognition for achievements, a platform to share opinions and ideas, opportunities to give back, support for educational advancement, and significant discounts and rewards.
Competitive Benefits and Total Rewards Package
Ross offers full-time Associates a package that includes competitive pay, a comprehensive benefits package, a merchandise discount, and other benefits.
Ross offers competitive wages and benefits in all of our geographic markets.
- One of the most popular benefits is our Associate discount program. Associates receive year-round discounts on in-Store purchases, plus periodic double discounts at certain times of year. In 2020, our Associates saved more than $38 million on their purchases.
- For our part-time Store Associates in particular, one featured benefit is flexible scheduling.
- For our Distribution Center Associates, our bonus plan gives full-time, hourly, and temporary workers the opportunity to increase their earnings by meeting higher levels of productivity.
For more information about our competitive benefits and total rewards package, visit our Careers website and explore the “Career Areas.”
A Safe Work Environment
We are committed to providing a safe and secure environment in which our Customers and Associates can shop and work.
We operate in a manner that promotes safe Stores and work practices and follows all federal and state regulations. It is our priority to:
- Incorporate safety best practices throughout our operations.
- Be prepared with emergency response protocols and crisis management training to keep Customers and Associates safe.
- Offer Associates a hotline to register concerns and obtain support.
- Develop and deploy programs to be compliant with health and safety laws.
- Provide high-quality safety training and support materials to all of our Associates.
- Maintain neat, clean, and organized Stores.
We also offer interested Buying Office Associates free certification in basic first aid, cardiopulmonary resuscitation, and automated external defibrillator use. These programs, combined with the dedication of our Associates, have helped foster a culture in which safety is a top priority.
COVID-19 Safety Measures
In early 2020, to prioritize the safety and well-being of our Customers and Associates and help slow the spread of COVID-19, we temporarily closed all Store locations, Distribution Centers, and Buying and Corporate Offices. We also instituted work-from-home capabilities for many of our Associates.
In mid-May 2020, based on local government and health mandates, we began a phased reopening process, and by the end of June the vast majority of our Stores and all of our Distribution Centers were operating again.
In support of the health and safety of our Associates, Customers, and the communities we serve, our Stores reopened with significantly enhanced COVID-19-related safety measures.
- Provided all Associates with personal protective equipment.
- Changed Store layout and signage to facilitate social distancing.
- Implemented additional cleaning and sanitation processes.
- Monitored the health of Associates before they began their shifts.
- Limited the number of Customers allowed in each Store based on established guidelines.
- Encouraged Associates to share any safety concerns with their manager so that they could be promptly addressed.
Inviting Feedback Regularly
To ensure that we are living up to our commitment to our Associates, we offer many opportunities for them to share feedback and make suggestions throughout the year.
Ross conducts surveys in multiple languages in our Stores, Distribution Centers, and Buying and Corporate Offices, from which we learn and improve. We consistently see high participation rates, indicating that our Associates want their voices heard, resulting in positive outcomes.
Matching Gift Program
Ross established our Matching Gift Program to support our Associates’ generosity. The program is available to all full-time Ross and dd’s DISCOUNTS Associates. All eligible charitable donations are matched dollar-for-dollar—up to a total of $500 per calendar year.
In 2020 hundreds of Associates participated in the Matching Gift Program, resulting in approximately $300,000 donated to more than 475 diverse nonprofits across the country.
“The Matching Gift Program is one of my favorite Ross programs because it is a way for Ross to support local causes that are meaningful to individual Associates. Since its inception, they have matched my donations to more than a dozen different organizations.”
— Ross Associate
Volunteering in the Community
We are proud that many of our Associates volunteer in the communities around our Stores and offices. Associates from our Corporate and Buying Offices can participate in our Volunteer Time-Off Program. Our Store Associates give back to the community by hosting in-Store fundraisers for our national partners: Boys & Girls Clubs of America (BGCA) and First Book.
For details about these activities, go to the “Supporting Our Communities” section.
A Scholarship Program for Associates and Their Dependents
The Stuart Moldaw Scholarship Program was established in 2009 to honor the life of Stuart G. Moldaw—Ross’ founder and Chairman Emeritus—for his lifelong commitment to education. Stuart was a tireless advocate for many community efforts. His legacy lives on through this program that provides Ross Dress for Less and dd’s DISCOUNTS Associates and their dependents with tuition assistance for undergraduate, graduate, and vocational/ technical education.
Recipients are selected on the basis of academic record, financial need, demonstrated leadership, and participation in school and community activities. Recipients may apply to renew their awards for up to three additional years.
Applications from Associates and their dependents are accepted beginning in February. For more information, visit the scholarship website.